Monday, February 7, 2011

Embarrassingly Easy

Baked Brie Bites

As much as I love to cook and bake, I am a huge fan of serving food that does not require me to be stuck in the kitchen when I have guests over.  And while frozen foods are great for things like that (TGI Friday's apps anyone?), 99% of the time, I still prefer to make my easy appetizers myself.  I think it allows for more creativity and it LOOKS like you spent all day in the kitchen prepping for your guests.  The only downside of super easy appetizers is when someone asks me for the recipe.  I begin to awkwardly blush and suddenly feel guilty for accepting all their compliments on my cooking skills.  I mean, yes, I did make them, but it was so easy is it really fair for me to accept all this praise?  Also, do I want to admit just how easy it was and let them know I wasn't cooking all day with them in mind?  I usually end up caving in and letting them in on how simple the food was and hope that they use my simple recipes in the future.  Which is why I'm posting some of my favorites here, because who doesn't love easy entertaining?  ...And I hope to try some of your appetizers next time I come over :)

Baked Brie Bites (pictured above)

Ingredients
24 Frozen Phyllo Cups (my supermarket sells them in packs of 15, so I buy two)
1 Wheel of Brie
1/4 c. Sliced Almonds (you will not use it all)
Brown Sugar for sprinkling

Instructions
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cut the wheel of brie into small pieces, so that one piece will fit inside a phyllo cup (I find 1 wheel of brie makes about 24 bite size squares).
3. Arrange the phyllo cups on a baking sheet and place a square of cheese in each one.
4. Bake for 5 minutes.
5. Remove them from the oven and sprinkle the sliced almonds and brown sugar on top of them.
6. Return to the oven and bake for another 2 minutes.
7. Remove, serve & enjoy!

*Note: I've made these also using Craisins instead of (and along side of) the sliced almonds.  Both are equally delicious.  I also think adding some green apple in there would be tasty - try it out!

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

Ingredients
1 can of Chick Peas (15 oz)
1/3 c. Tahini (found in the Middle Eastern section of the grocery store)
Juice of 1 lemon
2 Tbsp. EVOO
2 Garlic cloves, crushed
3/4 c. Roasted Red Peppers
Pinch of kosher salt

Instructions
1. Combine the chick peas, tahini, lemon juice, and EVOO in a food processor and process until smooth.
2. Add the garlic and roasted red peppers and continue to process. 
3. Add salt to taste.

I like to serve the hummus with a tray of veggies, some pretzels and pita chips.  A fun serving idea is to use a pepper as a bowl, just cut off the top and scoop out the insides. 

Mango Salsa Scoops (from Food Network Magazine)

Ingredients
1 c. Mango, diced
1 c. Black beans
1/4 c. Red onion, diced
2 Tbsp. Pickled jalapenos, chopped
2 Tbsp. Pickled jalapeno liquid (from the jar)
Chopped cilantro
Lime juice
Kosher salt
Bag of Tortilla Scoops

Instrucitons
1. Combine the mango, black beans, red onion, chopped pickled jalapeno and the liquid.  Add the cilantro, lime juice and salt to taste.
2. Spoon the salsa into the tortilla scoops and serve!

Marinated Garlic-Lime Shrimp

Ingredients
Frozen raw shrimp - peeled & de-veined to make your life easier
Garlic-Lime Marinade (I used Lawry's and it came out delicious, you could also make your own if you'd like or choose another brand)

Instructions
1. Place the raw shrimp in a ziploc bag and pour marinade in, enough to coat.
2. Let sit in fridge for at least 1 hour.
3. Heat a saute pan on medium-low heat (I don't use any oil, just a non-stick pan) and add the shrimp, but not the excess marinade.
4. Cook until done, when the shrimp are all pink and shaped like a "C" - not a very long time
5. Plate and serve!
Shrimp in a martini glass, keeping it classy ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment